Pierre-Yves von der Weid, Ph.D.
June 1, 2017
Inflammation Research Network
Snyder Institute for Chronic Diseases
Department of Physiology & Pharmacology
Cumming School of Medicine
University of Calgary
The lymphatic system is composed of a dense network of lymphatic vessels, which plays a vital role in physiological processes such as tissue fluid homeostasis and transport of antigens and immune cells to and from lymphoid tissue. These two functions are critically important during inflammation to minimize the associated edema and initiate the immune response.
Our research program is focused on the physiology of lymphatic vessels, the mechanisms related to the propulsion of lymph and alteration of these mechanisms during inflammation and disease.
Lab Web Site: http://www.ucalgary.ca/irn/faculty/pierreyvesvonderweid
Members of the laboratory:
Simon Roizes, MSc – Lab technician
Matthew Stephens, PhD – Postdoctoral research fellow
Catherine McKay, PhD – Research associate
Keith Kane – Honour’s student
Catharine Bowman – Project student
Barbara Chyz – Administrative assistant
Sonia Rehal, MSc, PhD – Postdoctoral research fellow, Dr. Babak Mehrara Lab, Dept. of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Chen Y, Rehal, S., Roizes, S., Zhu, H.-L., Cole, W.C. von der Weid P-Y. (2017) The pro-inflammatory cytokine TNF-α inhibits lymphatic pumping via activation of the NF-κB - iNOS signaling pathway. Microcirculation. 2017;00:1–13. https://doi.org/10.1111/micc.12364.
- Rehal S, von der Weid P-Y. (2017) TNFΔARE mice display abnormal lymphatics and develop tertiary lymphoid organs in the mesentery. Am J Pathol, 187(4):798-807.
- Chakraborty S, Zawieja SD, Wang W, Lee Y, Wang YJ, von der Weid PY, Zawieja DC, Muthuchamy M. (2015) Lipopolysaccharide modulates neutrophil recruitment and macrophage polarization on lymphatic vessels and impairs lymphatic function in rat mesentery. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 309(12):H2042-H2057.
- Al-Kofahi M, Becker F, Gavins FN, Woolard MD, Tsunoda I, Wang Y, Ostanin D, Zawieja DC, Muthuchamy M, von der Weid P-Y, Alexander JS. (2015) IL-1β reduces tonic contraction of mesenteric lymphatic muscle cells, with the involvement of cycloxygenase-2 and prostaglandin E2. Br J Pharmacol. 172(16):4038-4051.
- Cromer W, Wang W, Zawieja SD, von der Weid P-Y, Newell-Rogers MK, Zawieja DC. (2015) Colonic Insult Impairs Lymph Flow, Increases Cellular Content of the Lymph, Alters Local Lymphatic Microenvironment, and Leads to Sustained Inflammation in the Rat Ileum. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 21(7):1553-1563.
- Liao S, von der Weid P-Y.(2015) Lymphatic system: an active pathway for immune protection. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 38:83-89. Review.
- Rehal S, von der Weid P-Y. (2015) Experimental ileitis alters prostaglandin biosynthesis in mesenteric lymphatic and blood vessels. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 116-117:37-48.
Dr. Shan Liao (University of Calgary)
Drs DC Zawieja, M Muthuchamy and AA Gashev (TAM HSC - Temple, TX)
Dr. JS Alexander (LSU HSC - Shreveport, LA)
Dr. DF van Helden (The University of Newcastle - Callaghan NSW Australia)