Kishore Wary, Ph.D.
February 1, 2018
Department of Pharmacology
University of Illinois at Chicago
Dr. Kishore Wary is a member of the Center for Lung and Vascular Biology and the Stem Cell Institute at the Dept. of Pharmacology at the University of Illinois at Chicago. The long-term goal of Dr. Kishore Wary’s research is to improve human health by investigating the molecular mechanisms of angiogenic activities of endothelial cells. Thus, Dr. Wary is a vascular biologist with broad interests that span developmental, cardiovascular and regenerative biology. Dr. Wary is known for his work on integrin signaling, the biology of endothelial cells, and more recently, for his discovery of lipid phosphate phosphatase-3 (LPP3) signaling-dependent cardiovascular development. LPP3 is a lipid phosphatase enzyme, known to release the phosphate group from sphingosine-1-phosphate and its structural homologues such as LPA, but it appears to be a multifunctional protein and a regulator of Wnt signaling pathway. However, the role of LPP3 in endothelial cells remains incompletely understood. To explore the biology of Lpp3 in postnatal vascular bed, Dr. Wary’s laboratory has produced genetically engineered mouse model system. Along the way, Dr. Wary’s lab also reported the role of transcription factor Nanog endothelial cells in the regulation of VEGFR2 expression. In addition, Dr. Wary’s laboratory collaborates within the department and outside of the University of Illinois at Chicago.
Lab Web Site: http://mcph.uic.edu/wary-lab/
Members of the laboratory:
Ms. Jugajyoti Baruah (Graduate Student)
Ms. Victoria Mastej (Graduate Student)
Dr. Suhnrita Chaudhuri (Postdoctoral Fellow)
Dr. Ishita Chatterjee (former Postdoctoral Fellow)
- Baruah J, Hitzman R, Zhang J, Chaudhuri S, Mastej V, Wary KK. The allosteric glycogen synthase kinase-3 inhibitor NP12 limits myocardial remodeling and promotes angiogenesis in an acute myocardial infarction model. J Biol Chem. 2017;292(50):20785-20798.
- Wary A, Wary N, Baruah J, Mastej V, Wary KK. Chromatin-modifying agents convert fibroblasts to OCT4+ and VEGFR-2+ capillary tube-forming cells. PLoS One. 2017;12(5):e0176496.
- Chatterjee I, Baruah J, Lurie EE, Wary KK. Endothelial lipid phosphate phosphatase-3 deficiency that disrupts the endothelial barrier function is a modifier of cardiovascular development. Cardiovasc Res. 2016;111(1):105-18.
- Zhang C, Adamos C, Oh MJ, Baruah J, Ayee MAA, Mehta D, Wary KK, Levitan I. oxLDL induces endothelial cell proliferation via Rho/ROCK/Akt/p27(kip1) signaling: opposite effects of oxLDL and cholesterol loading. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2017;313(3):C340-C351.
- Wu L, Wary KK, Revskoy S, Gao X, Tsang K, Komarova YA, Rehman J, Malik AB. Histone Demethylases KDM4A and KDM4C Regulate Differentiation of Embryonic Stem Cells to Endothelial Cells. Stem Cell Reports. 2015;5(1):10-21.
- Gong H, Rehman J, Tang H, Wary K, Mittal M, Chaturvedi P, Zhao YY, Komarova Y, Vogel SM, Malik AB. HIF2α signaling inhibits adherens junctional disruption in acute lung injury. J Clin Invest. 2015;125(2):652-64.